Saturday, August 30, 2008

Scott's End Dogs

I am thoroughly enjoying some downtime at Scott's End in Cape Cod tonight. I am here with my parents and extended "family". Some who are literally family and others who are basically family because I grew up with them and every holiday we celebrated from my childhood included them.

Right now I am comfy in my room. Next to my bed, Oliver lies on his side drowsy with exhaustion from his hectic day. My parents' dog Bootsie's such a good girl, and so excited to have a "playmate". Really, Oliver's not much of one. He's not used to being around other dogs and even if he decides to run around with her a bit, he'll chase her for a while then suddenly run straight when she takes a turn, as though he just remembered an errand he had to run.

Now here in my bedroom, Bootsie keeps coming into our room and visiting. She paces my small room, sniffing around, and Oliver doesn't aknowledge her, as though thinking "Maybe if I lie really still, she won't notice I'm in here". Looking over at him, I can see him still like a statue but looking up at her, watching her as she wanders the small space. His eyeballs following her. She sniffs at his face and he growls at her, still without moving a muscle.

"Bootsie, go on," I say to her, implying she should go to my parents room (or really, it's our parents' room, isn't it?) to go to bed. After I say this to her, she wanders away, trying to fake me out, "OK, well, I guess I'll go now... I'm leaving!... See you! ...Goodnight!" while attempting to create the effect of someone walking off. But, she doesn't leave. She just hides behind my bed. She is now lying on the foot of my bed.

It's actually kind of adorable; the grumpy old man and the bubbly, friendly, naive girl who's come into his life to drive him crazy but open him up to the wonderful things this world has to offer; "Let's frolic in the water! See how fun this is!?"
"No. It's salty and wet and I'll be stinky later."
"Look at my toys! Aren't they great?!"
"No, the have your slobber on them."
"Oh boy! Oh boy! A ride in the car! Isn't this super?!"
"You're crowding me and I have no view from where I'm sitting. So, no, not super."
"I'm gonna put my 'arm' over your shoulders 'cause that's what good friends we'll be!"
"Get you're paws off me."
"Let's run around in the yard and then I'll shove you and you'll think it's cute and sporty!"
"That's sweet but no."
"Oh! There's people at the door! Let's bark are heads off at them!"
"OK, that sounds good."

No comments: