Sunday, August 3, 2008

Post Photo Staff Picnic

Today was a nice day. The weather was good, there was a relatively cool breeze, and it was the photo department's last hurrah picnic at John Prince Park in Lake Worth. I am so grateful my coworkers organized this. It was so fun.

When I first got there it was a bit strange. I mean, we are there because soon a good handful of us won't be there anymore. There was about six of us sitting around a shaded picnic table when I said something like, "This is really fun with a slight, unacknowledged funereal feel."
TC spoke up, "I'm so glad you said that. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels that way!" and then he added, "I was thinking that everybody comes to the weddings and funerals...and everyone's here."

And there really were with exception to a few. Generally, with a staff of 20-some people, it's tough to get us all in one place.

It was hard to not talk about work and ask others what they will be doing next. I admit that I am a bit squeamish with that question too, like when people ask me at the family Christmas party if I'm seeing anyone and the answer is almost only no (may Boston change that for me, can I get an amen).

There was also an interesting thing in that no one seemed to really want to leave. We weren't having life-altering conversations or playing the best games of badminton ever and thus just couldn't bring ourselves to leave, but still, the party got up and going around one and I left with the last group at 6:20. That's a long time to be hanging out in the Florida heat, even if there is a nice breeze.

Perhaps no one had anywhere else to be, but I rather think that we just wanted to hang with each other.

It's amazing how difficult it is to get a decent picture of a group of photographers. It's like asking a pack of hyper monkeys to sit still!