Saturday, August 23, 2008

Boston or Bust, Day One

Oliver and I have made it to our first destination, Savannah, just fine. It took less time than I had anticipated, especially considering we stopped several times. I woke much earlier than planned and when I couldn't fall back asleep, I figured we'd just get on with it already. So, a nap became necessary in the mid-morning. Then, a pee break and a little walk for Oliver. It was during that walk that I discovered Oliver had at some point pooped out what from the looks of it may as well have been a Grey Poupon-filled firecracker. This had gone unnoticed until this second pit-stop just south of Jacksonville.

I was literally wet-wiping my kid's butt at the rest stop. I thought I would have human one's before I would start doing that.

Oliver handled this drive differently than I had expected. Normally, when I drive him around, the minute I slow down or change speed in any way, he stands up all curious with an Are we there? anxious quiver in his little skinny legs. Perhaps he took one look at the little bowl of dog food I'd put in the back seat for him along with a small dish of water that clued him in. We were not just going to a dog park.

We pulled over again so I could get myself a sub at Publix and then again in the afternoon for another nap. For my second nap, I parked in the shade near a restaurant. I was fast asleep when someone came along to throw something out in a nearby dumpster. Oliver scared the crap out of my by barking at them with much enthusiasm, "Hey! Keep it down, my Mom's sleepin'!"

We hit traffic only when we got off the highway to go to our hotel. Our hotel where my first order of business was to give my poor dog's butt a bath.

Ew.

But at least we have clean bums now.



Stuck in traffic. The only time he got to stick his head out the window.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Travel safe my friend. And call whenever you're feeling bored!