Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pick Up The Phone Already

It's a common tale. Familiar to many.
The hilarious story of a single girl trying to find a reasonable date.
After a long hiatus, I re-entered the ever popular world of online dating. I did a search with my criteria and came up with a few guys. I emailed a few guys. One responded.

After a few interesting emails, we have a rather long phone conversation on monday night. The usual get-to-know-the-complete-stranger phone-call. At the end of the conversation, he confesses that he kind of digs me. Since I don't know him at all, really, I cannot return the compliment, but I can and do tell him that I agree that getting together for a bite to eat on Wednesday would be fun. He also tells me that he's slightly taken aback, telling me that attractive women never email him on these sites (I assure him that I often receive emails from -really, I'm sure they're perfectly nice - gnarly men), and that he also finds it a nice surprise to have an articulate conversation with someone, "That's actually very rare" he says.

So, we tentatively plan on meeting on Wednesday night for dinner at a town in between our own cities. He asks that I call him Tuesday evening from my cell so that he has that number.

Tuesday evening, at about 8, I call and leave a message, leaving my number and asking that he call so we can organize our Wednesday plan. "Or, email me if that's easier" I offer.

He does not call me back. Wednesday around noon, I drop him and email, simply stating "Did you get my phone message. Hope you're ok, Cydney".

Now if I received that email, I would take that to mean the person is expecting to hear from me.

This is not a guy thing, (although, it's been such a party dealing with you over the years, boys), as much as it is a human thing. Return a god damn phone call! Send an email! Have you chickened out? Fine, drop me a line and say "sorry, but I'm a wuss". Or simply, "I'm not ready to date".

But don't leave someone hanging.!

The bummer is that when/if he does get a hold of me, I will have to hide my annoyance, or find a way to gracefully figure out what the hell is going on. Perhaps he was pinned under a rock, not enough to be injured, but enough to not be able to get out from under said rock. And the cell popped just out of his reach?

Or perhaps, he's in the hospital after getting hit by a truck RIGHT before he was going to call me, "I swear, I had the phone in my hand!" he'd tell me while laying in traction, souped-up on morphine.

It's a shame. After the last one who shouted his love for me from the rooftop and then squeaked and slinked away the moment I finally joined him on that rooftop, words don't mean a whole hell of a lot to me anymore. So, an excuse will be hard to shrug off unless it was a damn good one and came with proof in the form of notorized paperwork.

I want to believe them..
And perhaps I do believe them.
Then, they don't call when any normal human being would know they should.
And I lose my faith in words again. It's really quite ridiculous. It's simply not that hard to be an honest person.

No comments: