Thursday, February 21, 2008

Gawky Kid

I have not been bloggin for a while here because, A. I'm a grumpy old lady lately, and B. I left my laptop in Ft. Myers when I was there visiting my friend, Rachel and her brood who were there to see their in-laws.

I'll write about that once I have the baby back and can work on the pictures and whatnot.

Today I had to find a CLO (wild art to file a hole) for my section of the paper. Yesterday I attempted to do this by venturing to the Royal Palm Beach Public Library. RPB is pretty boring, and finding a photo there when nothing planned is going on if quite challenging. It’s also a pain in the ass. But, I was thrilled to find the library very busy. This is a rarity. I went to the front desk. While it is a public building, I prefer to let them know I am there and ask for permission anyway.

“Oh, our branch manager isn’t here so I can’t let you take pictures” said the woman, not bothering to look at me.

“Is there any way we can get a hold o her?” I ask hopefully.

“No, she’s gone for the day.” She tells me, still not looking up.

I am flabberghasted but refrain from saying so. It’s a public building and I have never known a librarian to be ignorant of that fact.

I didn’t want to go back to the library today considering what happened, but I was desperate for a photo. My coworker encouraged me to not return. They don’t deserve the attention, he said. I agreed, but I also know that I was stumped for a shot.

I arrive and feel redeemed after meeting Carl. His mother gives me the ok to photograph her toe-headed son and I do so while he sits on the floor, pouring over the Berenstein Bears.

I feel redeemed because I have stumbled across a pencil-thin, awkward, knock-kneed, pale, glasses-wearing bookworm who I know is likely picked on at school. I could be wrong and really, I hope I am about that. In the case that I am right, however, I am content to give him something to brag about.