Sunday, February 3, 2008

Eight-Year-Old Etiquette?

I was leaving Publix grocery store the other day when I saw something really interesting. Well, I thought so, anyway.

Leaving the store was a father with his two kids. The little girl, about three or four, was in the shopping cart, and the son, walking along side, was about eight. Coming in to the store was another dad with his son, also about eight-years-old.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw that when they passed one another, the boys high-fived! I glanced over, wondering if I'd actually seen what I'd seen, and heard what I'd heard - two little hands smacking together.

I had seen and heard correctly, because one boy turned to his dad and exclaimed "I high-fived him!" as they headed through the grocery store's sliding doors.

"You did!?" said the dad, amused, "You high-fived him!?" he laughed.

"Yup!" he answered, proudly yet nonchalantly.

I wondered what the deal was. Did the kids know each other? Do eight-year-olds now have a secret handshake?

Maybe unbeknownst to us grown-ups, there is a secret society of little guys dedicated to givin' props to one another in a show of solidarity for their single digit age group.

PS. If you've seen any "Celebrity Rehab" on VH1 you know precicely where I got the word unbeknownst. Thank you, Daniel Baldwin.

No comments: