Monday, July 7, 2008

Ungrateful Lucky Kid

Tonight I watched a TiVoed episode of Extreme Makeover Home Edition. The crew was helping a marine who lost his leg during service in Iraq, then returned home only to have his heartless wife leave him one year later with four kids and a shitty run-down un-handicapped accessible home in which to raise them.

I watched the beginning to get the gist of the story, then skipped to the end to see the reveal of the home. The kids unfortunately seemed a little vacuous. They are young, the oldest is nine, but still, you'd think they'd show some enthusiasm for the situation. They aren't dumb, I told myself, they're overwhelmed..

After checking out their rooms and such, they all stood together in their tricked-out garage while Ty got them riled-up for the next phase, "How do you like it so far!?" he yells at them.
"Yay! We love it!" Dad says, children staring blankly.
"Wanna see some more?!" Ty asks excitedly.
"Yeah!" yells Dad.
"Let's go!" yells Ty, as he turns to lead them all out the door.

Then I do a double-take. What did I just see? I'm sure I must be mistaken, so I rewind. Yup, I did see correctly. While Ty is getting everyone excited about the next phase of the reveal, the seven year old girl is kicking him in the shins! Repeatedly. Ty clearly has chosen to ignore her, because he just continues on like nothing is wrong. Kicking the host in the shins.

Way to show your appreciation, kid.

No comments: