Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Freakish Bike and More

I received an email today. My buy out, and all of my coworkers who offered to take one, has been accepted. The next stage is to fill out the paperwork to confirm that I am taking the buy out. When I came into the office today, I was told my editor was looking for me, with the yellow finalization paperwork in his hand. I have until the 11th of August to sign it really, so I must say, I felt the door was being a bit smacked into my back on the way out.

Still, I got an estimate from Allied moving company. As it turns out, the cost of a UHaul (con hassle and trolling the car) really comes out to be the same price.

Today felt final though. People are now VERY openingly talking about things. Why didn't this person take the buy out? What about the sports department? I heard very few took it. What will they do with all the people in sports? Did you hear - there are only three reporters left in Npost when this is all done! Etc.

One coworker friend came to me and asked me when I was going. Talking about it was odd and surreal. And upsetting. I didn't like it. I far prefer organizing my to-do list than talking about reality.

Tonight, I was at the office late and I was chatting with my pod-mate, Lannis. Just about work and wondering what they'll do about this and that. About family and the items I'm trying to sell. It struck me how much I will miss my little chats with Lannis and my other pod- mates.

A friend told me about a dream he had. We were going for a bike ride. I had given him a motorcycle which would only drive straight. I took off on my bike, and he couldn't get the motorcycle started. "There she goes" he thought to himself and told me, "That's the first thing I thought of when I woke up - 'There she goes' "

I promised him I wouldn't give him a crappy, freakish bike that wouldn't turn (or any bike for that matter). and he told me, "Just don't turn back."

No comments: