Wednesday, July 2, 2008

4th of July

I've been having a fairly free week this week assignment-wise. I've been enjoying shooting video so I let the head of that team know I was available to shoot video if needed. She called me to her desk and told me they would like to have a fireworks testing video done. The premise was to get some interns together and get them in lab coats giving commentary on some store bought collections of fireworks.

I went to one of our interns but he seemed relatively unimpressed with the idea...and boring. Boring doesn't work when you need colorful commentary.

I was chatting with Thomas about the idea and he said he would help me with it. We brainstormed a bit and I blurted-out that I thought using a puppet with the intern would be funny. "Go storyboard and I'll be by at 7" said Thomas, who would be coming with props, gear and an intern to make some flames in my backyard.

Obsessed with the puppet idea, I went home and sewed some puppets. I made two of "Puppet" (I couldn't think of a more clever name on the spot) because I intended to have some fireworks lighting incident with her.

The boys (and in this scenario, I do mean boys because the project was like being back in my childhood basement making stupid sketches with my high school buddies) showed-up and we scampered to collaborate something together as the yard got darker and the mosquitoes bit more (I counted 41 bites on one foot the next morning).

We took it in to Aisha, video editor extraordinaire, and that was that.
CLICK HERE AND HAVE A SAFE ONE!

There's now talk of doing a series with Puppet...when she recovers completely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it. Love it!