Saturday, April 26, 2008

The King and (tr)I(athelete)

Rachel and I are on a ride home from dinner, chatting it up. She's trying to remember the name of a famous family who owns the building we are passing by, and being silly I blurt-out "The Kardashians?!" referring to a reality show about some rich family which I've only seen segments of. "That show is so random," I add, "It's like having The Brady Bunch with Dabney Coleman in it. Wait! No, I mean GARY Coleman in it!"
"What are you talking about?"
"Yul Brynner hanging-out with the Kardashians?" I point-out, in a don't-YOU-think-that's-a-wierd-pairing tone. Thinking about the random man who is dating the mom on the reality show, I find myself unable to find another example of a pairing more unnatural.
"That's weird considering he's dead." Rachel reports.
My synapses fail to fire and I assume she's making a joke about the fact that the man I am thinking of has had so much plastic surgery that he might as well be dead.
So I continue on, stretching my arms out in front of me like Frankenstein's monster. I joke about how he's kept alive by batteries, or perhaps a pull chord, "I'm running out of power! Give my cord a pull!" I say in a low voice, pumping my arms up and down slightly and bobbling my head. Thinking about how the man needs his strength, I add, "I'm a famous triathlete!"
"Triathlete? He was an actor!" Rachel announces.
"An actor?!" I'm still not catching my oversight and now we're both completely confused. Amused, but confused.
"Yeah, he was in The King and I. Yul Brynner?"
I burst out laughing and realize my mistake, "I meant Bruce Jenner!"


(And yes, I know now, he's a decathelete, not a triathelete.)

No comments: