Saturday, May 8, 2010

Survey

I recently polled about 75 friends and acquaintances using monkeysurvey.com. I'd been thinking about TV shows like "Weeds" and "Dexter" and "Sons of Anarchy" and "The Sopranos" and wondering if people experience these scenarios in their lives. Those are extreme examples, I realize (I think many people watch those shows because they are a look into cultures they might not normally get a look at). Though anything's possible, I wouldn't expect people to know someone like Dexter, the blood analyst who moonlights as a serial killer. I just wondered how prevalent some topics are in "real" people's lives that don't seem to be prevalent in mine.

It's most decidedly not a scientific effort, it was just for curiosity sake. But I'm so glad I did it! It's been fun to see the results and in a few cases, actual responses. Mostly "yes" or "no" but sometimes more (like when someone wrote "Jeez Louis, No!" to number 26).

I also got an email from someone who said, "I just finished your survey, godfather style."
(I emailed him back telling him I knew it was an offer he couldn't refuse.)

Here's the email I sent out to people. It included a link to the survey. Below the email, I have added the results of the 41 people who responded...

HI all,
OK, so I am asking you all to participate in this ten question, yes-or-no-answer survey.
I'm doing this little study because after watching so many crime shows on TV, I wondered how much "everyday" people know about, well, stuff that I don't. This is anonymous! Just answer yes or no in the space provided. Thanks for your input!


1. Do you know where to get marijuana if you wanted it? 23-Y / 19-N
2. Do you know of anyone who sells or knows where to get "harder" street drugs? 17-Y / 24-N
3. Do you know of anyone who uses "harder" street drugs? 33-Y / 8-N
4. Do you know anyone who's died a drug-related death? 10-Y / 31-N
5. Do you know of anyone who has planned a revenge, Godfather-style? 1-Y / 40-N
(I should have phrased this one as "eye for an eye" really)
6. Do you know who to go to to carry out such a revenge? 4-Y / 36-N / 1 maybe
7. Do you know anyone who has died a alcohol-related death? 14-Y / 27-N
8. Do you know anyone who's been convicted of a DUI? 38-Y / 3-N
9. Do you know anyone who has committed a crime, caught or not caught? 34-Y / 7-N
(It was pointed out here, and I agree, that I should have been more specific. How serious does the crime need to be?)
10. Do you know anyone who has committed assault on another person? 16-Y / 25-N

No comments: