Sunday, May 9, 2010

Derailed

Mom and Dad are downstairs watching the movie Derailed. I decided I didn't want to watch it any more for a number of reasons. I have seen it before and there are so many things about it that irk me and now that I've seen a bit of the beginning again, I remember why I didn't like it the first time.

The most dominant reason is the rape, seconded only by the manipulation of one of the main characters. 'Drives me batty when people are cruelly manipulated. Rapes are not so good either, obviously. It's by far one of the ugliest crimes I can think of. To know I know a few women who have experienced it makes me nauseated.

The main character's daughter is type one diabetic and it's handled so inaccurately it drives me bonkers. Her daily numbers are faxed into a doctor at one point and we paused the movie to look at the numbers; 5.8, 1.8, 9.5. Well, considering your numbers should be between 80 and 180? The kid should be dead. I don't know who was advising them on glucose numbers but their advisor should be fired. The other thing the kid is dealing with is kidney failure. Now, if the kidney failure is a result of the diabetes then that means that she was never given insulin. Ever. You have to be really bad to your body to have renal failure and this kid wasn't old enough to have the time to be bad enough to have renal failure. They claim she'd had multiple kidney transplants and that her body was rejecting the new kidneys.

Now, if she had kidney/renal failure separately from the diabetes that would be believable. It is a disease in itself - kidney disease. Whatever. I hate that inaccurate shit. Like when Jodi Foster's kid in Panic Room has a sugar drop and she runs off to get her kid insulin to save her...Um, no, actually, giving her insulin when her sugars are dropping would kill her. But, the kid's seizure as a result of her sugar drop was very effective in making me squirm as I recall. Maybe that was just me though.

1 comment:

Debby said...

You tell it, sista! Geez, can't movies get it right?!?!