Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Time Capsule

First day of my road trip. Doing my best to get away and feel lighter. It has been far too long since I've taken a trip (aside from my lovely one to Atlanta a little while back). I haven't taken a road trip since my drive from Florida back p to MA nearly two years ago.

First stop, upstate New York to see my old friend Kelly, her husband Bryan and to meet their two young sons. The ironic drive included rain, wind, sun, rain, sun, and even snow. I was told recently that when you experience loss all of your past losses come back to you. I don't really care for that theory (why would anyone want that? Dealing with new stuff is enough without the old stuff dredging-up), but it proved to be the case while I listened to some Indigo Girls.

It has been many years since I've listened to them. I was taken aback by my visceral reaction to their music, but I just let it go and it was good. Song after song brought me back to a different time in my life. Music can be like a time capsule that way. A time capsule from thirteen years ago. They are poets, for sure, and as I listened and remembered the lyrics they had new meaning to me too.

Closer to Fine, for example, is interesting to me because few things made me "take my life less seriously" back then...

I'm trying to tell you something about my life
Maybe give me insight between black and white
The best thing you've ever done for me
Is to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life after all
Well darkness has a hunger that's insatiable
And lightness has a call that's hard to hear
I wrap my fear around me like a blanket
I sailed my ship of safety till I sank it, I'm crawling on your shore.

Power of Two was interesting to listen to again. We used to sing that one at the top of our lungs. The lyrics are still fantastic. I think.

And the lyrics of Thin Line, which were stuck in my head when I was hospitalized for my diagnosis my junior year, I always thought strange (that just these lines were stuck in my head)...
now i'm tryin to get back
to what i know that i should be
hoping to God that i was just
a temporary absentee

And now I am hanging with good friends and am in love with their two sons, Wesley and Everett. (I wonder if they will notice them missing if I put them in my car tomorrow?)

No comments: