Thursday, October 16, 2008

Aaaaargh!

Dear Canon,

If you are trying to win my heart as a professional shooter with your new gear you are failing me.

I have been a photojournalist for ten years. My newspaper, located in Florida, underwent major downsizing and I am now in MA living with family.

My newspaper owned all of my camera gear so now have none. I was excited to hear about your newest camera bodies, and pre-purchase a 50D and one of the new Mark IIs.

I understood when I ordered them that these bodies would not be available until October and November, respectively, but when I called Adorama to inquire about the status of my cameras, they informed me that you, Canon, have only released the 50D as part of a kit. So, if I want your camera soon - correction - if I NEED your camera soon, I have to buy your kit. This kit no doubt includes a lens with mediocre glass, a camera bag for amateurs and other stuff a photojournalist is not in need of.

The economy sucks right now, and the source of much or your sales, photojournalists, are experiencing debilitating changes within our field.

I know you're a big company and all and I'm one person so what does it really matter. But it matters to me. I cannot attempt to find work without camera gear! When I was told from many sources that my 50D (which is to be my back-up camera) would be available in October, I expect to have a camera body in October! And after you disappointed so many with your unreliable Canon Mark IIIs, I'd think you'd be working a bit harder for you clients.

May I ask when you plan to allow your camera bodies (alone) to grace me with their presence? 'Cause I'd really like to get back to work.

Sincerely,
Cydney Scott
Freelance Photojournalist
cydneyscott.com

I forgot to mention that the guy at Adorama told me it could be months before my camera body alone would be available.

No comments: