Friday, October 31, 2008

Center for the Performing Arts

I'm proud of my Mom. I'm proud of my Dad. But Thursday night was one of those nights where I had to concentrate to not blurt out, "I'm Cydney Scott...as in Peter Scott's daughter!" to every person I met.

Years ago, my Dad became the president of the CPA, the Center for the Performing Arts, an organization whose goal it is to build a decent performing arts center for the high school and the community. At my high school, our smaller theater productions were performed in a lecture hall, where there were "butt-pinching seats" as my Dad described them.

I remember being concerned when Dad told me he was becoming president. It would be stressful, I knew, and my Dad never walks away from something until it's done and done right. He said, though, that he would stay on for six months and then pass on the presidency to someone else. Years later, my dad is still an active member of the group.

First, it was going to be a separate building. Dad would go and pitch the project to people in an effort to get donations...preferably large ones. Maybe ones big enough to have the Center named after the donor?

It's been a struggle. Money promised to the group through grants from the government have fallen through. Not just with this group, but with most community organizations who were relying on grants.

The Center is now being built out of the lecture hall where the butt-pinching seats were at the high school.

But with the lack of funds, there will be a lack of completion.

There was a small opening for the Center on Thursday. An effort to show people what's happening there, the progress which has been made, and how they can help to complete it. A $250 donation buys you a seat. The purchaser of the new cushy, fire engine red non-butt-pinching theater seat will not literally go home with said seat. After all, it's meant to be bolted to the floor. But, it does buy you a shiny plaque with your name on it, or the name of you kids, or you dog, or whatever, and the pride of knowing you helped this project come to completion.

To help out, go here!


Testing the sample seat (which is not the color they will ultimately be)


The handicap accessible technical box.


Dad shows off the black ceilings in the theater.


Part of the evening's entertainment.


How the place looks currently. The chairs don't stay (they were there for the event), and there will be risers there. Eventually. If you buy a chair, it may be sooner!

No comments: