Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Cold

We are experiencing record low temperatures today in Florida. The
Sunshine State. Standing in the cold wind in the open space of a
soccer field trying to get an action shot, I was reminded of what it's
like to shoot up north. You can buy a hat to keep your head and ears
warm, bundle up your body, and wear heavy shoes. But, there's no
complete solution for your fingers in that cold. Maybe there are
gloves out there that will allow you the dexterity required to operate
the camera but today, I was not wearing them. There were hours between
the two games I was shooting so I headed to Target to get a hat, a
scarf, and some gloves. I find the perfect pair of gloves. They are
comfy and made from some fleecy-gortex stuff, and Velcro closure at
the wrist. I look for a price tag and can find none. It takes me a
moment to realize these gloves aren't for sale. Some schmo left their
really nice gloves behind.

I pick out some alternatives which will do me just fine and head over
to the deli to get something small to eat. What? You mean me only
eating a few slices of roast beef and some M&Ms before leaving the
house this afternoon is the reason I feel like crap and I should be
eating better? No!

I am now home and my dear friend Rachel is sitting next to me and I'm
telling her about how after all the above happened, I went into this
wondering about germs part. I was basically wondering why people up
north get sick in the winter when germs actually can't thrive in cold
weather. She used to be a germ writer, or rather, a health reporter.
She explained that it's because people sneeze into their hands and
then touch things.

And they like doorknobs. That's a no-no.

The End.

No comments: