Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Blue as in Blah

Here's the thing about being Diabetic. It sucks! I met with my endocrinologist today. She's great, but me gaining a few pounds since my last visit? Not great. Me not eating terribly healthy? Also not great. I mentioned to her that I have been feeling a bit mediocre and that I'm working on that. She said that yes, depression was common in diabetics because...

"Because it completely blows?!" I wanted to finish her sentence but managed to refrain.

Does anyone else eat more than necessary when they are feeling slightly depressed? We're not talking lying in fetal position depressed, I'm talking blue with a shot of bored added in for good measure. Well, I do, and I have a small spare tire made of cheesecake to prove it.

Get a hobby, you say? Well, I'm on it. I am now taking a guitar class through the Community Education program here and hopefully, it will help me keep my hands on the strings of my guitar and off the string cheese. We'll see. I am collecting audio of my progress so you will have the pleasure of being exposed to my (lack of) skill at some point in the coming weeks. I promise to edit tightly.

Taking classes is a funny thing. I take them because I am interested to learn, but at the same time, isn't it just passing the time? Sometimes I feel like I am biding my time til I meet someone who's wonderful and great in every way and then they can entertain me and I can finally take a break because I'm getting bored of myself, for crying out loud!

Does anyone else buy things they don't really need when they are feeling depressed? Well, I do. Fortunately, I'm finding some good buys, like $21 on three sweaters I bought at Old Navy last week. I live in Florida? Where it's warm all the time? You don't say! I don't care. I liked them. I bought them. Get over it. It's my closet and I'll cram shit in it if I want to. 'Cause buying stuff totally makes a person feel better. Or...not. At least I don't have terribly expensive taste. I can be grateful for that.

I'm also finding it nearly impossible to find some replacement loafer/oxford type shoes for work. Crickey, how hard can this be, people! I've been ordering shoes online which is really a drag. Can't I just find the shoes I want at the local DSW? No. Apparently size 9.5s are about as rare as an albino frog in a bathing suit.

By the way, I would be totally stoked to find an albino frog in a bathing suit!

Yesterday I got two pairs of shoes in the mail. One pair was fine. I'll keep them. I went to send the other pair, of course they were the cheaper ones, back today. It cost me $10.50 to return a pair of $30 shoes. Where's the GD justice, I ask you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Darling Daughter,

One...Weight comes and goes...it is the natural order of things.
Two...Being a Diabetic was not your choice nor your fault ( by the way, diabetic is not capitalized unless someone has named their town after a disease)! The "d" becomes overwhelming and consequently capitalized when it is in your face and making you unhappy. I get that.
Three...Hobbies are a way to spend your time...but you always make them into something special...they always turn into a skill that you generously share with all the rest of us....a very good thing indeed.
Four...You are completely capable and ultimately gifted for entertaining yourself and any number of others all by yourself....but I do agree it is nice to have someone else to fill in the "lull spots"!
Five...Buying things is just a fundamental part of being a woman...besides...how would we ever amass quality stuff if we weren't always on the lookout? I found a whole bunch of miniature billiard balls in the parking lot of Home Depot this evening! What a stroke of luck! We have no table or cues...but they are great anyway.
Six...Shoes are a must...there is no such thing as too many shoes...they are friends...each one has a story to tell...and the best part of that is we are the main character in every story!
Seven...Albino frogs are weird ( unless they are wearing pink tutus of course). I thought everybody knew that! I bet they look really cute in a bathing suit.

Don't change a thing...just feel better.

I love you. Mom