Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Idol

I TiVoed the American Idol finale. It was a very strange combination of cheesy and cool (the finale, not my TiVo. My TiVo's awesome. How many times to I have to tell you this?). David "G-Rated Dreamboat" Archaletta, one of the finalists...I'm pretty sure there are cartoon birds and chipmunks fluttering around him when he wakes-up in the morning. The other finalist, David Cook, has a strange, generic rocker way about him, like he's only meant for a cover band. Pardon me, tribute band.

Meanwhile, both have wonderful voices.

Various singers, real ones, like ones that have been doing this more than a few weeks, came out to sing with the contestants. Seal, Graham Nash, ZZ Top (they had me at "Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man"...it's so true, after all), Bryan Adams.

The cast of Idol came out together to sing "Freedom" by George Michael. Eventually, they left the stage and the real guy, GM, descended from the stairs at the back of the stage. All I can say is the man looks like crap. Paging Mr. Michael, it's Nosferatu on line two; he'd like his fingernails back.

Now granted, the dude can sing and I love his music, but yikes!

By the way, is it necessary that all the songs the two male finalists sing together be love ballads? Awkward.

I couldn't be more stoked about the unexpected results. Well, I'm lying. I'd be more stoked if I got a prize for David Cook winning. Like five dollars. Or a pony.

That would be cool.

No comments: