Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Chess Club

I was photographing an elementary school chess club today. Wandering through the group of concentrated Bobby Fischers, I hear the voice of a little girl ask, "Are you gonna interview to us?"
I shake my head as friendly as possible while I continue looking for pictures.

Later, the little girl comes up to me. I am shooting, but since I usually shoot with both eyes open, I can see her in my periphery. Hey!" I say to her.
"Can I say something to you?" she asks.
"Oh course!" I tell her while I keep shooting, "Go ahead!"
"If I were famous and you asked me about chess, I would say that the pawn is only a small piece but it's a chess piece and still a very important part of the game."
"That is an excellent thing to say!" I tell her, impressed with her delivery.
She pulls her shoulders back proudly as she receives the congratulatory high five I offer her, then skips off to her desk.

Brave kid, actually. If I think about it, I'm not sure I would have been self-confident enough to approach a "news person" as a third grader and offered them a statement, confident that it was an insightful one.

No comments: