Friday, July 31, 2015

Our Vet

I love Harlow's vet. A few weeks back we made a visit there to investigate Harlow's grass eating. I don't watch Harlow very carefully, I admit. She had her dog door through which to escape into the yard and frolic with her imaginary friends. But I've noticed when I am outside with her that I've frequently caught her eating grass then puking it back up.

Since her behavior hasn't changed and she still eats her own kibble (more quickly when soft food is added for enticement), I basically thought little of it. But maybe a few months went by and she was still doing it so I figured, couldn't hurt to ask.

The first time we went to see Dr. Chase in Winchester, the vet sat right down on the floor, and puppy Harlow went right over to her, immediately leaning into her like she was her bestest friend ever. This time Harlow was a bit nervous, but Dr Chase got low again and Harlow relaxed eventually. She asked a ton of questions and did a physical exam and suggested we do a baseline test (all the results were good). She also checked Harlow's anal glands, which was a new thing for Harlow and she understandable didn't care for it too much. After expelling her, Dr. C left to room and clean up a bit, when she returned, Harlow recoiled next to me, jamming her back into the wall.

At which point, the vet sweetly approached Harlow and gently assured her with some nice petting "It's OK Harlow, no more bum. No more bum".

Coming across this collection of photos of dogs heading to the vet made me think of this story
http://www.buzzfeed.com/elainawahl/27-dogs-on-their-way-to-the-vet#.dvz3XOe8r


No comments: