Wednesday, July 22, 2015

She's An Old Soul

I was on my way out when I crossed paths with Harlow's dog walker Bonnie the other day. As she headed up the stairs she said to me "Harlow has a lot more confidence these days! She's doing really well and listening really well."

"I have to tell you about this…" she added.  Last week, while leaving the parking lot, Bonnie's car was hit by another car that was going about 65 mph. Her leg was broken in the accident and while ambulances did come to take her away she refused to except help. I look down her leg and it was all bruised up! "Oh I'm fine! I can heal myself!" she reassured me. Her daughter Amanda had picked her up at the scene and taken her to the hospital, but she refused to have a cast put on and was now walking and working on it after only a few days of rest.

Knowing how Harlow can be on a leash, I got a little nervous about where the story was headed. When she came to get Harlow for a walk last week, Harlow approached her bruised leg, gave it to sniff, and was very gentle from then on out. Bonnie told Harlow that they'd only be walking on level ground today, and Harlow moved at a very slow and gentle pace for the entirety of the walk. "I'm telling you" said Bonnie "I've always thought she's an old soul!"

At one point Bonnie started to hobble a little bit. Harlow stopped and ever so slightly leaned against Bonnie, as if to give her something to hold on to if she needed it. "Maybe I was imagining it but I don't think so!" said Bonnie.

My dog the shaman.

New furcut

No comments: