Thursday, August 7, 2014

PT Cruisin'

Chatting with coworkers during the annual summer lunch at Tia's I joked with Scott, head of design, that he is failing me as a match-maker by only hiring gay male designers. Or married ones. Or gay ones who are married. They need to be straight and available, I tell him, adding "And taller than 5'10...and someone who enjoys a challenge!" I joke, giving a little swing of my fist."and a fixer-upper!" he adds with a 'I'm just joking!' look.

Er...um...I didn't like what you just said.

On my drive home along the Rte 28, my eyes gravitate towards something familiar to me and I instantly see her; my puppy riding a long, ears flopping and fur blowing in the breeze with her head out the window of my dog walker's PT Cruiser. I tried to get a picture with my phone but no luck.

I got home just behind the two of them and when I got out of my car and looked up at my porch Harlow looked down on me, dog-smiling, with her paws on the ledge of the porch, clearly standing on her hind legs for a better view. "Who's that?!" Bonnie the dog walker says in a sing-song voice.  I can see in the wiggle of her upper body that Harlow is now wagging. It reminded me of kids' reactions to the sight of me when I used to babysit.

A kid running at you yelling your name with their arms outstretched is equaled by nothing.

And then I wonder if I'll get to see that sometime.

In the evening, Lauren and her son Owen and I were planning on going to Revere Beach to watch an outdoor showing of Night At The Museum, but the rain started to fall and we even got hail!

Hail! from C.M. Scott on Vimeo.


So, I invited them over to watch Cloak and Dagger instead. We thought it was age appropriate for Owen who is 8, and with exception to the scene in which Henry Thomas gets cornered by an armed thug who threatens to blow both his kneecaps off, we were pretty on-target. Owen later said "That was really mean! I think that part is probably better for nine or ten year olds".

Agreed.

Meanwhile, Lauren and I marvelled at the parenting moments. Of which there were none. Kimmie, Davie's neighbor simply says "I'll be alright, I've got a key" when the police bring the children back to their own neighborhood in the middle of the night. Um, where's your mom? Workin' the late shift?

Towards the end of the movie, when the children are using their bus passes to get to the San Antonio Airport just before midnight, another show of exceptional parenting arises when Davie's dad comes over to Kimmie's house looking for Davie. "I thought she was at your house!" says the mother, "She left this note though!"

I've gone to the airport, call the police.

Really, Crappy Mom? You thought Kimmie was right next door? If she was in fact next door, why was she still there at midnight?

Sheesh.

No comments: