Monday, March 17, 2014

Best Shelves

On Sunday I went for a visit to my friend Meg in Burlington. She and Aaron, both friends from college (go Bobcats!), have four adorable kids; Stella, 6, Miles, 3.5, and the twins Vivian and Sylvia are 1.5.

I was feeling a bit blue that morning, so I was excited to get some time with them. They are always a great pick-me-up. Really, a great pick-everyone-up.

There were many funny little interactions while I was there but the one I remember most vividly came from Miles. Miles was having a bad morning. He was feeling weepy and sensitive, tired maybe. First he asked if he could go to his room and be by himself. Of course he could. Aaron walked him over to the stairs, moving the little baby gate out of the way for him. He gave him a hug and told his son that he loved him. Miles sweetly and quietly sniffled out "I love you too".

He pulled himself together for lunch but lost it a bit again when he was a little naughty and threw a ball in the house. The ball went into time out and Miles went into weepy-mode. "Oh, Miles, we are not showing Cydney our best selves today" Meg told him with a sigh.

"Our best shelves?" Miles asked through his wimpers, "Where are our best shelves?" more sniffles while looking around the room, "The ones with the books on them?"

No comments: