Sunday, February 2, 2014

Philip Seymore Hoffman

Although today was slow, it was a great day.

This morning H and I went for a walk/hike at the Fells. I set my timer for 20 minutes when we got started and basically just turned around when it went off. I can't read any of the maps I find online and as such have no idea where the trails go, so I just feel it's safer to do it that way. It was a fun little hike.

At the end of it, I cut her loose at the Sheepfold dog park where she ran for another 20 minutes or so. She befriended a small lab pit mix and the two wrestled like I've never seen H wrestle before. Running full speed and then running into each other, sending H sliding on her back for two yards or so. It was wild! But the field was basically all hay - tall grass which had never been tended to and was very dry and soft today. So it was nice to not worry too much about ice and rocks.

By the end of her exercise she was totally out of breath and covered with a combination of mud, dry grass, and some dog's drool.  She was a happy happy pup.

We returned home and I spent the day cleaning, making a sea glass necklace for Kristyn who had puppy sat while I was in PR, painting a onesie for a coworkers baby who is due soon, and repairing a few things H has damaged.

At one point I was on my computer for one reason or another when I thought I'd run down and check on her. She'd gotten a hold of my tooth floss (again) which I'd foolishly left on the coffee table (MMMM, minty!), and to my horror she sat on her bed with a bottle of super glue between her paws.

I had been repairing my ottoman with the glue when something shiny must have distracted me and I left the bottle within her reach.

Dog Owner of the Year!

I have not managed to vacuum but I DID figure out how to program my DVR remote to change the volume on my TV. That was a more than just a little victory for me.

Oh, and the low was learning that Philip Seymore Hoffman was found dead in his apartment which a heroine needle in his arm, leaving behind three small kids.

As I wrote on FB,

"I am far more sad than I probably should be to learn this news considering I didn't know the man. But I found his work to be so exceptional and it's so sad we will no longer be graced with his talent. To be clean for over twenty years and then fall off the wagon. I can't imagine what that must have been like- to conquer such demons to have them return. And leaving behind many who loved him including small children. It's so terribly tragic."


Happy Harlow after our hike and the dog park antics.

Queen of the stoop with her sceptre 

No comments: