Wednesday, February 28, 2007

What's Your Dream Job?

At a recent party a coworker of mine randomly turned and asked,
"What's your dream job?"

After I recovered from the surrealism of a serious inquiry from a man
dressed in a toga surrounded by people eating rice krispy treats (me
being one of them) and playing beer pong, I fumbled to think of an
answer.

I must admit the question left me at a bit at a loss.

I've always known I want to be a photographer. A photojournalist
specifically. I love doing that, but I don't feel it's all of me.

My impulse answer is "To be a mom," but I squelched my answer - as
though stating it would ruin my image.  What image? And when have I
ever given a crap about maintaining it? I can be traditional but I am
a feminist for the most part and there is that mystique of being
career driven. While I think it's bunk and I don't feel the word
"feminist" defines me, my hesitation to state claim on my dream job
got me thinking.

I remember years ago a fellow intern at the Evansville Courier and
Press asked me where I ultimately wanted to work. Knowing the field of
photojournalism has its limitations and not wanting to set myself up
for disappointment, I told him I didn't aspire to anywhere in
particular. I just wanted to take pictures. At the moment, it didn't
matter where. He was appalled by this - how could I not have a
"goal'?!  I don't remember the last time I was so angry with someone
for judging me.

I have never seen it as not having a goal. I see it as smart
(non)planning. Why aspire to be in a place that may not be in reality
what you think it is? Or even worse, you can't get there at all?
(Today, eight years later, I am happy at the location I have seemingly
stumbled upon, and he is happy at the location he specifically worked
to be.)

I want to be a parent, but there are very relevant (and currently
missing) elements necessary to achieve this role. The combination of
not wanting to jinx myself, not wanting to hear an isn't-that-a-sweet
"awww" from those listening in on my answer (or some other response
which translates to "Ohhh, I see... her clock is ticking"), and being
unsure about whether or not parenting counted in this line of
questioning in the first place, I admitted being stumped.

After some thought, I've decided it comes to this (with plenty of room
for alterations, of course)...
I want to be a silversmithing sewing teaching writing
furniture-building multi-media producing photo-taking well-traveled
MOM. Not necessarily in that order.

'You hiring?

No comments: