Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day

As a school kid, my Mom always insisted I hand-make all of my
Valentine's for my classmates.  This tradition left me feeling
annoyance and pride simultaneously.  I would often have over 22 kids
in my class, and when you are eight years old, that's a lot of hearts
to cut-out and doilies to paste (aw, Mom, do I have to?).

A lot of important decisions needed to be made, too; Will Jaime KNOW I
like him if I put an extra heart on his? 'Cause I don't really want
him to know. And, do I have to put the same amount of work into the
Valentine of that jerk of a bully as I do everyone else?...hmm, I'll
give him one less heart and a smaller doily.

That'll show him.

I have never to this day (that I recall), bought "over-the-counter"
Valentine's. I don't have a problem with them of course, but old, very
nice, habits die hard I think. And there is something special about
making them by hand. Not many people do it, and it continues to make
me feel good (as soon as the
Jesus-Christ-why-do-I-have-so-many-people-to-give-Valentine's-to?!
frustration wears-off).

This year is no different. And while there are no doilies or even
cutout hearts, it was made by me just the same.

No comments: