Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Super Bionic Woman Now


No, I am not sharing a photo of my belly for attention. That's silly.  I'm sharing it because technology is amazing and I am grateful for it.

The device on the right is my pump. I've had it for many years now. I draw blood from my hand (I use the heal of my palm but some people use their fingers - because they are masochists) and my glucometer tells the pump where my sugars are. So, basically every time I want to eat something, I'm supposed to check my sugars using the glucometer. I average 4 to 8 checks a day.

This device on the left now does this for me. In the morning and at night, I calibrate it by hcecking my sugars with a blood draw and the glucometer, but other than that, it checks my sugars through my skin, and sends that number to an app on my phone, every five minutes. Pretty amazing.

Now I don't have to guess where I am if I don't have my glucometer on me, and I can see how certain food effect my levels, because I can watch my sugars go up or down.  It alerts me if my sugars are too low or too high - it woke me this morning around 4 actually when I dipped too low.

I would have woken up eventually, but the dexcom did so before I felt completely miserable.

What's one more object hanging off me anyway?  

No comments: