Friday, December 9, 2016

MacGyvering

Last night I covered an event for BU. It was basically a professorship reception. Young professors were granted professorships and this was their holiday gathering. Since it was set-up through the president's office, it was a big deal, the kind where I have to dress extra-presentable for.

I went to The Castle, which is on campus, for the event. I arrived early to set up lights for the group photo I knew would be shot. I started to unpack my lighting gear when I spotted someone who looked like an event planner. She was, and as I talked with her about lighting, it became very clear from her confused expression that I was at the wrong event. And that's when I realized I do not remember when I actually LOOKED at the paperwork regarding this assignment and as such, I'm not sure I actually ever knew where it was taking place.

Don't panic.

I pulled the assignment up in my phone and after much waiting and then searching through assignments in our online scheduling app, I found that the event I was supposed to be covering was two blocks away in the building which houses the office of the President of the university.

I called the organizer of THAT event and let her know what happened, and that I was on my way.

I arrived in plenty of time, and after seeing the space, knew I wouldn't be needing to set-up lights anyway.  The gajillionaire who funded the professorships was already there, but the event itself didn't start for another 15 minutes or so. I organized my gear to start photographing the set-up (food, flowers, etc).

Giant coat tucked away and now-unneeded lighting equipment in a closet, I pulled out my flash to attach it to the top of my camera. It would not fit. IT WOULD NOT FIT!  My brain went a million miles a minute - could I shoot this event with the available light in here? No, not really. Am I using a Nikon camera body and a Canon flash somehow? Is that why they don't fit? No. I don't have any back-up gear in my car and my car is three blocks away anyway. Is the lock on the flash locked down? No.

IT WILL NOT GO ON THE CAMERA! WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?!

And that when I looked closely and found that the track on top of the camera which the flash slides into before locking into place had been bent in somehow, preventing the flash from fitting in there.

Oh god, Oh god OH GOD!  Then again my brain starts going.
I have to MacGyver it. I have to MacGyver it!  How do I MacGyver it?!

I need a screwdriver. I don't have a screwdriver. I'm not gonna find one here either. I need something metal to bend the piece back again. I looked at the buffet table and spotted only sterling silver tongs. Those won't do. I went over to the bar which was run by two doe-eyed students. "Do you know where I can find a utensil?" I asked, likely a bit wild-eyed.

They said they had none, but the buffet table had forks. And so they did!

I grabbed one and discretely as possible, used it's tine to bend the part back. Then I said a little prayer as I reattached the flash.

PLEASE WORK
PLEASE WORK
PLEASE WORK

And it worked.   Evening saved!  Phew!

No comments: