Thursday, November 17, 2016

White Priviledge

I am unaware of my white privilege. I try to see it but am aware that I don't much of the time.

Last night I communicated with Shannon about how I never noticed that she was a darker-skinned woman (taking after her Mexican born mom) with an Irish name. She responded with "That's white privilege"

Yup, it sure is. I think to myself, I just see my friend, but what is also true is that I am unaware of what her experience has been like and I cannot relate to it.

I want to learn more, so this morning I accessed two of my library accounts via the app I use for audio books. I did a search for books about race and found this to start... 16 Books

I first visited my Medford Library online selection where I found almost all the books in audio form, though had to put them on hold. I looked up the demographics of Medford and found that, unless I'm reading it wrong which is entirely possible, it's about 10% non-white.

When I did the same search via NobleNet which is the collection my hometown library of Wakefield pulls from, they carried, probably, three of the 16 books. It looks like 5% of people in Wakefield are non-white. 

I emailed my childhood library and was basically like, what gives? Shouldn't we have these books so white people can learn about why we don't have these books in our libraries?

No comments: