Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Home

I wrote the blog entry below this one at about 11am, and by 1PM I was leaving work and going home. Somehow, a cloud moved over and there was little point in staying. I got in my car and cried through the rain back to my house. I feel better now. Getting it out always feels better. I feel hopeless about our political situation, and for the first time in a while, I feel a bit lonesome

A Women's March on Washington has been scheduled for Jan 21, the day after the Inauguration. Shannon and I immediately jumped on this, booked us a hotel room and found shitty flights for cheap. It will be a strange experience I think, considering where Shannon and I were exactly eight years prior. 


When I read this column the other day, I reposted it on FB with the following words..

I understand where the author is coming from, but to be chastised for trying to do something when you simply don't know yet what would be remotely useful is annoying. Everyone has an opinion about everything and most of the time it's a negative one. And his thought in how Trump supporters will wear the pins (like racist Trojan horses or something)? I don't think so - if a person wants to be nasty to others they're just going be a nasty to others. You don't need to wear a pin to be an asshole.
At times, when I have wanted to get involved in Black Lives Matter or express my thoughts on issues like it I end up shutting up entirely, because I fear that I won't do it "right". I am learning to be more aware of my privilege and worry that my efforts to be supportive will simply end up seeming patronizing. You don't REALLY care though, right, white girl with a roof over her head and a steady job and a car that runs? Um, ok, I guess I'll just sit quietly and wish you luck inside my head.
I'm happy this author put a link to other ways one can help. THAT's helpful to me. Making me feel like an ass for trying? Not so helpful. Since Tuesday I have smiled at strangers more, I have been friendlier. Is it solving anything? Nope! And I wouldn't for a minute claim that it is making a difference, but as I said, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO and it is the only thing I know to do at the moment- be kinder, listen to my friends who call and text upset about the situation, read, read, and read about what is going on and try to make sense of it.
I would really like to hear others thoughts about this.

Some people did share their thoughts and from whatever point they shared I was grateful. 

I am so sick of words, so I'll just share photos from the Love Rally on Boston Common last Friday where little was happening aside from a feeling of community (which is perfectly fine!). Plans and action will come soon.




















with Lauren!





No comments: