Monday, May 23, 2016

Effing Prescriptions

Our Rx mail order company recently changed at work. My glucometer uses Contour test strips which, for whatever reason, always required a Prior Authorization (PA) in order for them to be filled by the previous mail order company. When it came time to get new strips, the new mail order company wouldn't fill them. After much back and forth, declining the Rx, then declining the PA request, etc, I called and found out they don't cover the test strips. At all? At all. Not even with a PA? Not even with a PA. 

They told me to go to such-and-such website to order, for free, a new glucometer so I could start using OneTouch test strips because they are covered under my new mail order system. Fine, I did that and reported back to my doctor and asked if they could kindly put in an order for OneTouch Ultra test strips to go with my new glucometer?

They said sure.

Today I went to my shitty new mail order website to fill a different Rx when what did I see was available to me now in my list of Rxes? CONTOUR NEXT TEST STRIPS! Right there in my list of Rx which I could reorder.
Oh, you mean the strips that weren't covered by my insurance or by the mail order company? Yes! THE STRIPS WHICH WERE ALLEGEDLY NOT COVERED BY INSURANCE AND AS SUCH I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO ORDER!

So now I have a new glucometer coming to me, and now I'm quite sure that the mail order company will reject my doctor's new Rx request for the OneTouch Ultra test strips because, well, you HAVE four refills available to you of the former test strips.

Good. Fucking. Grief.


No comments: