Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Scans

I've been thinking lately about all the things I have which won't matter to anyone. I have at least 30 journals full of my rambling words. I'm not sure I wrote them to be passed on, but I don't know what they're for. Photos and scrap books, letter and cards. There is no one to inherit my belongings. My childhood toys, some of which I still have.

I received a message from an acquaintance, Kristen. She's planning a joint 40th birthday party for our friends Joe and Suzanne. I went to college with Joe and Suzanne and they fell in love while we had the momentous experience that is college. The are married now with three kids.

Kristen asked if I had any photos of the two of them from our college years. I told her I'd be happy to take a look, scan some shots and get them to her.  I went to my basement and found a sample (lots are missing) of the slides and negatives from that time along with some mold (note to self; must store them better somehow).

There were a few things that struck me as I scanned the slides on this little scanner of Dad's which I borrowed (note to self - must return scanner).
1. I was a much better college photographer than I ever gave myself credit for.
2. Holy moly we were young, and
3. This is my legacy. Sharing the documenting I so obsessively did (and I wasn't even that good about it compared to others in my major), should be what I "leave behind".

That's not such a bad thing. I'm proud of it actually. If what I can leave for people today, or on some other major day like a 40th birthday, are pictures they don't even remember me taking but smile wide when they see them, I'm perfectly happy with that.

bringing in the keg for the last house party of the year

the city came after us for the mess in the yard

planning for a party

clean up

Aaron and Meg (also got married later on) at the end of the year (senior year I think?)

No comments: