Friday, April 24, 2015

Mark Edelson

Today FB is buzzing with comments about Mark Edelson, a (basically famous) photo editor at the Palm Beach Post. I worked with Mark while I was at The Post, but not so closely, as my beat with the Neighborhood Post didn't warrant his editing really.
I heard early yesterday that he was losing, quickly, his battling with three different cancers. Basically everything fell to shit and he died within a day. Meanwhile, leading up to that, he survived in isolation since December for all his treatments. It was a miserable, horrible existence and I hope with everything in me that he was at least pain free at the very end. Because he was anything but for the two years leading up to it.
Last night I got word that he'd died when I got a text from Shannon, who also worked with him at The Post years ago, as did her husband. We all knew it was coming, but when it happened, I thought of Susan and well, last night was a hard one. I thought about her and what she went through, and I thought about Mark and what is lost with his exit.

And I thought about Susan more and cried more too; the look in her eyes that last night I saw her at the hospital, watching her body go into the ground inside that simple pine box, the feeling of not wanting to leave her there. I didn’t want to leave. Everyone else was walking away and I just didn’t want to leave her there. Being on stage talking about her at the memorial service. So many people were there in her honor.
I emailed Mark's daughter Vaughn via FB, "Vaughn, I worked with your dad at The Post when I was a shooter there from 2002-08. He was an exceptional person. I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and your family. I'm sure he didn't want to go, but I'm also sure he felt very loved as he did. I'm so very very sorry for your loss."
Within an hour she responded, "thank you, Cydney. We are happy he is pain-free now, and I am especially moved to hear from all his colleagues. I feel like I know him better now."
I didn't sleep well last night. I was up til one, just not wanting to go to bed, and I was restless through the night, waking and 5:30 and Mark coming to my mind the minute I woke. Today there are lots of post on Facebook linking to stories about him, including the one below, which has a video in it I participated in a while back to try and lift his spirits. His service is this weekend. In less than 48 hours actually, so I won't make it. But, I'll be there in spirit.
http://clikhear.palmbeachpost.com/2015/mark-edelson/mark-edelson-1951-2015/

No comments: