Friday, April 3, 2015

And Now We are 39

Yesterday I turned 39.

Last week I was dreading it. Well, maybe not dreading it, but not happy about it. Disproportionally upset about it. I am not alone, but I am alone. Every birthday I think to myself "Maybe I'll have someone special with me next year". And the next year comes and while I have to wonderful company of my friends and family, I don't have that person.

I think perhaps the challenge for my 39th year is to embrace my freedom. I want a person of my own around and maybe a family too (seems silly to say anything other than "maybe" at this point), but on my birthday I got out of bed, threw on some sweats, piled the dog into the car and went to the muffin shop to pick myself up a birthday treat for breakfast. On the drive there I thought that I wouldn't be able to do this if I had kids at home. I mean, I guess I could, but not on such a whim. I need to embrace this, because that guy I've been hopin' for? He's nowhere in site.

I'm tangenting. And whining. Because al that said, any day above ground is a good day. Quityerbitchin, Cyd

Harlow and I lazied around the house for a bit then went for a nice hike.  She got a bath in the afternoon and after that I went to a nearby salon to have my nails done and get a relaxation massage. That was a new thing for me! My regular massages are deep tissue, which isn't very relaxing but still seems important for me to do for myself considering the gear lugging.

Relaxation included my entire body, a scrub on my back, etc. Good stuff!

With a solid hour and a half to spare before dinner with my parents and friends, I went to a nearby AT&T store where I wanted to upgrade my phone and ended up paying full price for it (with an adjustment to the family plan saving us some money but in truth, not so much that made paying full price for my phone OK).

I now have a severe case of buyers remorse which nagged at me throughout my evening and woke my at 6 this morning. I'm usually so conscientious about such things, I don't know how I managed to get screwed.

Fortunately, I learned when talking today that AT&T has a 14 day, appropriately named Buyers Remorse Refund policy.

Anyway, running late after being stuck at the store for longer than I anticipated, I hurried home, changed and joined Mom, Dad, and my friends at Blue Stove grill for dinner.  I was great fodder for teasing during dinner because I kept struggling to find words for things and kept using the wrong words for things. I wish I were joking! Ha!

After dinner, we (Ben and I carpooled together) stopped at Mom and Dad's for their gift. A porch swing! How fun!

As I hugged Mom and Dad goodbye, Dad said in my ear, "Merry Christmas" We laughed hysterically and he said "Don't tell anyone (I just did that)!"
"How much is (my silence) worth to you?"

Clearly Dad drank or ate whatever mind-confusing item I consumed (sorry, Dad, I had to write it down because it's exactly something I would do too!). In his defense, it IS still cold outside.



looking pretty rough pre-bath
birthday hike



all clean!



when you can't decide just get one of each!

the guy in the background is an asshat

No comments: