Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Dog Door!

Many months and many dollars later, the new door I scheduled to have put in at the beginning of winter is finally here! What a strange sensation! To have to TURN THE KNOB to get the door to open!
As you can see, I also had a dog door installed. Harlow is still learning. For example, in the morning, I feed her and open the dog door (there's a sliding door that locks on it). She doesn't go outside however, She harasses me with the I wanna go outsiiiiiide whine, complete with actual whimpering.
I've realized that she doesn't actually understand yet that once the door is open, she can use it....wait for it...without permission!

It's all very exciting. Except it isn't yet because she hasn't totally figured it out. For a while, coming back into the house was the easy part and getting her out I basically had to shove her through (I'm trying the rogue dump the kid in the deep end style of training this time).

In the photo below, she's actually just getting the lay of the land this morning. In this moment she's not interested in completely committing to going outside, so she's option for having a look while keeping the backend warm.



Last night I was watching TV and had given her a kong with a meaty treat inside to get myself some peace. She began tearing at her bed. "Don't do that!" I scolded her, but a few moments later she was at it again! I went over to her and flipped the bed over in an effort to get her away from the holes she'd made.

She began looking around in confusion. Her eyes went to her tennis ball, No, that's not my meat-filled kong!, then to the bone Nope, that's not my meat filled kong! Then her head swished back and forth in a panic and I figured it out.

She somehow got the Kong into the lining of the bed, thus her reason for ripping at the bed!  I reached in there and got it out and all was well again. 

No comments: