Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Ribs and Hiding

This morning I was taking a leisurely walk around the block with Harlow, as we do every morning, when she got very preoccupied with a garbage can. It's garbage day, so everyones receptacles are on the curb. I asked her to move along as I passed her, leash in hand, tethered to her. Then I gave a little tug. She fought me. Then I gave a big tug, annoyed at being held up. She finally joined me and after a few moments, I heard the clicking sound that comes with something in my dog's mouth.

"What do you have?" I ask her, then remembering that a command is far more effective, "Drop it, Harlow."

What comes out of her mouth is the size of a large teacup saucer. It is intact, could not be seen inside her mouth, and is completely comical as it's flops out and hits the sidewalk because it seems far to large for her to have been able to hide it in her mouth. It's a rack of ribs. Three ribs to be exact. Still together, untouched. "I don't blame you" I tell her "I would have wanted to eat that too.

Later, we are home and I'm doing the morning routine - packing up my bag for work, filling her water bottle for her crate, turning the TV on and making sure it's not on FoxNews, getting treats for her and putting them in the crate.

Typically I have to come outside and coax her to some inside, but this morning, for some reason, she comes inside. She sits halfway up the stairs as I ready the house for my exit. I see her out of the corner of my eye slinking upstairs.

It's time for me to go and so I wander upstairs to find her and bring her back downstairs, put her in her crate, and head on my way.

When I find her, she is hiding under the curtains in my bedroom.

"Harlow's not here! You should look somewhere else of even just go to work without finding her and putting her int he crate!"

Time to go to work from C.M. Scott on Vimeo.



No comments: