Friday, February 25, 2011

Bad Citizen

There's a phenomenon that happens with me once I decide I need to save money; I find I can't seem to not spend it. I am hoping to buy a home at some point. I do not know how far in the future that some point might be, but I know I would like to buy. I like the idea of having my own place that's mine all mine, but it's also because all of the rental options around here are beyond nasty.

So I decide to start saving money right before I run out of glucosamine and calcium, and a belt, which I need. OK, maybe I could have done without the belt but I am literally wearing a Swiss belt from my childhood because it's the only belt I own that doesn't make a big bulge under my shirts and sweaters with a massive buckle. So, yesterday I had to buy one. Along with Glucosamine, which is expensive, and calcium, which isn't really. And ice cream (yes, that, too, is a necessity).

Today I did research on my work commute. Currently I drive to work and while I thought it would be a giant pain, I've come to be quite used to it, even enjoy it with the help of audiobooks (even if the lame ones have me questioning the authors grammar). It's nice to know I can leave for and leave from work when I need to, not when I have to because of trains and subways. I thought it would be financially wiser to start taking the train, but my math (which I checked and double checked) had me realize that I would be saving only $20 a month by switching to the rails. Not enough to make it worth it to me. My conscience however? That's a different story. I like recycling. I like trying to do what I can when I can to help the environment. Me sitting in my car for at least 2 hours a day by myself? Not really helping the environment. I know this.

There are instances when I need the car to get from this assignment to that one, but for the most part, I can walk or ride to my shoots on the BU Campus.

My point is, between my car and the lunch of instant noodles which come in  polystyrene containers,  I don't feel I'm being very kind to Mother Nature.

Must figure out how to counter this feeling.

No comments: