Saturday, September 4, 2010

Debby's Toast

It is 6:30 AM where I am right now; California. I arrived here a few days ago to attend the wedding of my good friend Debby. I've mentioned her many times, like HERE, HERE and HERE, and especially HERE (really you could do a web search for debby and find all sorts of entries).  Right now I cannot sleep. I'm not sure if it's the jet lag, or the fact that I woke early with a bee in my bonnet. Last night, I attended the rehearsal dinner. It was such a nice affair, tiki-themed and held at Debby's parents' home. There was a time for toasts/roasts and many of the guys got up and spoke about Debby's husband-to-be, Jarett. On the drive home, my hosts and I talked about how we were disappointed to not get up and talk  about Debby or hear others get up to sing her praises, "I just don't have any 'One time, Debby did this crazy thing' stories!" I said, and Suzan and Ben agreed.

But I woke this morning still feeling disappointed that I didn't think of something eloquent to say. This morning though, although it may not be eloquent, I thought of something. So, I will post it here, and print it as well and send it along with my wedding gift to the two of them.

If I'd had my head about me, this is what I would have said...

"Seven years ago, one of my editors in the photo department at The Palm Beach Post came to me and told me I was going to be a mentor to our summer intern. Being the friendly New Englander I am, I responded with “Ugh, seriously?” But I couldn't be more grateful to John “Lopi” Lopinot for connecting me with Debby. We became fast friends. I think Lopi intended for me to talk about photography a bit more than we actually did, but just the same, I think it was a good pairing. And honestly, it's not like us not talking photography more frequently had any effect on her shooting career.

The two of us had many good times together. One time, Debby and I got stuck driving around one of West Palm Beach's parking garages for forty-five minutes, trying to find a spot so we could go catch a movie. During the incident and after we joked about the fact that we were not the least bit annoyed at our predicament because we were having so much fun together, enjoying each others' company. It was a great summer, getting to know my new friend Debby.

Years later, Debby gave me one of my most prized possessions for my birthday – a quilt the she made herself. It was bright and colorful and covered with frogs, and it came with a playful note that referenced kissing frogs. I now live back in Boston where I am from originally, and I am almost literally living out of one room. Only the bare essentials made it to that room when I first moved back and the rest went to storage. Debby's quilt is among those bare essentials. I think of her and her kind, fun-loving nature every time I look at it, and I smile.

Everyone has been talking tonight about how wonderful Jarett is, and Jarett is wonderful. I met him for the first time a few years ago when I came out for a visit and I was so happy for Debby that she'd found such a great partner in Jarett. But, Jarett is the one who has truly hit the jackpot in this remarkable woman. He has someone who will bring color and light into his life every day, someone who will make it fun to be stuck in a parking garage for 45 minutes. Debby is beautiful, funny, quick to laugh, and a stalwart friend. She has an exceptional creative mind and a warm heart. I think Jarett is the lucky one to have found himself the ultimate partner-in-crime for life."

No comments: