Friday, October 9, 2009

Nostalgic

I have many many things to get done today, but I am feeling compelled to write. I went on Facebook today and there was a brief video on the Ohio University's Alumni page of rain. Just rain on the campus' "Athens Block" etched bricks. It made me desperately nostalgic and sent me to the photo collection on the page.

Now I am thinking about the breaded mushrooms from Suflaki's that my roommate Kristen and I used to order from our freshman year dorm room. I'm thinking about how at this time every year, I consistently lost my voice from allergies. I think about visiting there and how we would be those people - those thoughtful thirty-somethings that show-up to their freshman year dorm room to commiserate, with two eighteen-year-olds blinking at the old people who miss the cinder block walls and the movable beds.

Running through the streets of Athens in the pouring rain to get some fast food and catch a movie, we learned quickly the skill which was required to move on the wet streets, all cobblestone and brick, and not slip on them. I managed to do so my entire college career until, I kid you not, the night before I graduated. I was running in the rain to a friend's house for a midnight toast in celebration of our impending deadline when I slipped and rode on my bare knees on those cobblestone streets, for quite a few feet. When I got to the friend's house, she sat me down and crouched in front of me, carefully cleaning out my severe scrape and taking out all the little rocks which had embedded themselves.

Really, I could go on. Not about falling and shredding my knees, but the about my incredible college experience. Living with seven other people my junior year, studying my ass off, co-hosting parties, the beauty of the campus itself and the feeling of just being there and being a part of the living breathing thing that is university life.

No comments: