Sunday, February 8, 2009

Side Effects

Mom and Dad were telling me the other night about a side effect a friend had heard about on a TV ad for a medication, "I don't mind all the other side effects, but when 'oily flatulence' is a possibility? I'm not willing to put up with that!" he told them.

This led me to wonder, how did the pharmaceutical company determine that oily flatulence was a aside effect? I mean, how did that conversation go?
"Well, I had a slight headache and then I farted a lot." The test patient would report.
"Like, regular farting?" the pharmacist conducting the study would ask.
"No"
"What kind of flatulence did you experience?"
"Well, it wasn't greasy so much..."
"Acidic?"
"No, it wasn't acidic. And it wasn't airy..."
"Was it creamy?
"No, no creamy either..."
"Gritty?"
"No, not gritty. We were closer with greasy," the patient would think to himself, searching for the perfect adjective. "...Oily! That's it! Oily farts!"

No comments: