Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Maul and the Green Scarf

Looking for an H&M store in the local mall the other day, I was taken by the desperateness of the sales clerks. Specifically the ones in the kiosks. One woman asked my if my hair was real and that her product could "fix" it. "Fix" it? I know I just colored my hair red, and perhaps my friends here are too nice to tell me if my hair looks like crap, but as far as I know, it looks fine. It doesn't need fixing.

The kiosk girl tried and tried to get me to come sit down so she could run my hair through her electrified Inspector Gadget hair straightener. When I walked past her a second time sometime later, she said to me again, "Can I ask you a question?"

"You already did before." I said to her int he kindest tone possible as I kept walking.

"I know, but..." she pleaded.

I few days ago I paid two dollars for a nice green GAP scarf at the Salvation Army. I wore it in the mall and twice, there were kiosk people who tried compliments to reel me in, "Hey, that's a nice scarf!" one guy said to me, then another later on, "That scarf looks warm!"

Lame.

The second guy was actually hollering after me well after I had passed by his kiosk.

It was actually very creepy. Annoying too, but creepy. I felt like I was being heckled by construction workers. I felt like a child trying to avoid neighborhood perverts. There was a bit of "Hey little girl, I have a piece of candy for you!" about it all.

I don't want your nail cream and I'm not helping you find your puppy.
The place should really be called The Maul.

1 comment:

Mrs. Hammond said...

I HATE those kiosks. I get so uncomfortable walking by them! And no, we are not too nice. Your hair looks great!