Tuesday, November 11, 2008

All Alone

My parents went to Europe and all I got was a spaztic puppy to look after.

It started with an elementary school reunion for my dad in Switzerland, where he attended school. Then, the trip expanded to include a visit to Prague, which it very cool I think. I dropped my parents off at the airport and immediately got on the phone to start the My parents are out of town so let's have a kegger phone tree. Just kidding.

The dogs are a handful and I dislike very much that I am raising my voice so regularly to say things like, "Bootsie, get your head out of the trash!" and "Don't you dare squat there!" and "That was an antique!"

Again, I exaggerate, but still. It's constant. I am determined however, to break her of her jumping habit and her head in the trash (again) habit by the time my parents return. I love my parents, but it appears to me that they think her jumping up on them is cute. It won't be cute anymore when she jumps up on some kid and accidentally bites their face off because she mistook them for beef jerky.

Last night Oliver was disinterested in dinner, so I put his dish up on the counter so I could feed Bootsie. In the morning, Oliver's dish, which was still on the counter, was empty. I will take this moment to mention that Oliver is not tall enough to do that and our house mice are not that skilled. They tend to prefer the left-out butter. It's better for their coat.

This morning, when I took the two out in the yard to "spend a penny", Bootsie got a bit distracted by the activity in the neighbors' yard. They had hired people to come pull out some trees with some massive trucks. I looked behind me to see what had stopped Bootsie (Oliver off a leash, Bootsie is on one), and I saw her standing shoulder to shoulder with Oliver. Who was trying to poop.

I encouraged Bootsie to move it along and do her thing, but since she's a bit of a bumbling puppy, she plowed into and knocked over Oliver who was mid-poop.

Nice bathroom manners.

No comments: