Thursday, November 13, 2008

Bored and Blue

Today I am feeling a level of blah. Being diabetic is annoying me. My sugars have been quite high for the past few months and anyone who is diabetic...not many of you...can relate to my feeling of self-loathing. 'Must focus on brushing it off and remembering that tomorrow is a new day.

Today, I raked leaves. A lot of them, as you can see (this is pre-raked). The culprit is our massive double trunked tulip tree. Now I am desperate for them to be removed so I can complete the effort to get a feeling of accomplishment.I also got my flu shot today thanks to my neighbor, Ada who called to let me know there was a free clinic in town today. By the way, Wakefield is the quintessential busy New England town. There is more going on downtown here in this suburb that there was in the middle of the day in West Palm Beach's downtown area. Granted, the main street in WPB was wall-to-wall clubs and rapidly turning-over restaurants, but still. This past Saturday, when Dad and I passed through on our way somewhere, there was a small pack of high schoolers playing on up-turned buckets to raise money for the WHS music department. Dad of course pulled over to give them some money.

When I was a kid, I had auburn colored hair which leaned towards red. Now, the auburn hair leans towards brown and I have been missing the red for a long time. So, the other day, I decided to dye my hair (it doesn't really show much in this picture, does it?). It's a bit strange though. When I got compliments on my hair, people always wondered if I dyed it. I never had, and now, I feel like a bit of a poser. As though I should tell everyone I make eye contact with, “I know...it's dyed now. It didn't used to be but, you see, I missed the red and so I put some in. I just don't want you to think I'm one of those people who doesn't want people to know I dye my hair even though it's probably obvious, you know? Like, I'm not trying to come across as a real red head...even though I was one. Once.”

The dye I used wasn't much really, and it came out fine. In fact, I feel like it's even faded a bit since I put it in just the other day.

My roommates, Mom and Dad, are gone right now, and I have been in charge of the doggies. If Bootsie had opposable thumbs, I think she would have burned down the house by now. Really, she's not so bad, she's just so busy and into everything. She's kind of a text book juvenile delinquent. When you're not in the room, she is completely silent. Sitting on the floor or in her crate, she seems perfectly content. But, as soon as there is someone around to impress, she's all over the place! I don't know what got into her last night but she took off from one side of the room, charged around the desk in the middle of the room turned on a dime at the other side of the room and did it again. Turn, run, repeat. Over and over, while grunting.

Meanwhile, Oliver has been quite content with the new tradition of getting up into my lap and falling asleep immediately like one of the two old men in The Muppet Show balcony. After being drugged. Last night he actually fell asleep with his head on my shoulder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're blue. I have those days too. :p
It will pass though.

Your hair looks great (from what I can see of it in the picture). Very natural!

And your house is fucking awesome. I don't know that I've ever seen it before.

Pepper did the running around the house at high speed thing the other day when I came home. It cracked me up. I was on my way to the bedroom and she went charging around the house and came running into the bedroom, leapt onto the bed, and slid across the comforter until she came to a stop in front of me. I patted her head, and when I stopped petting her, she took off to repeat the routine. It was hysterical. The cats were thoroughly perplexed.

Anonymous said...

Loved this post! Especially the part about Oliver being an old man muppet. Miss you so much down here!