Sunday, June 15, 2008

Russert

About a week ago, Dad told me I should sit and watch an episode of "Meet the Press" to see Tim Russert in action. Dad talked about how exceptional he was at his job. How he could question a guest and really put them in the hot seat, but still do it in a professional way. I'm sad that Tim Russert died this past week,a nd not just because it means I won't get to see his show.

Today on Meet the Press there was a panel of his colleagues and friends, looking back on his life and sharing with viewers what an exceptional person he was. I'm disappointed to have to have learned about Russert under these circumstances.

Last night, I was flipping through a book at Barnes and Nobles and came across a quote which said, "The best exercise for your heart is reaching down and lifting someone else up". Today one of the panel said that quote was one of his favorites.

Tom Brokaw, who was on the panel and got choked-up over the loss of his friend a time or two said that last night, while performing in Europe, Russert's favorite musician, Bruce Springsteen dedicated "Thunder Road" to Russert. They concluded the show with sound-bites of Russert talking about his humble beginnings and how grateful he is for his life, while showing photos of him from through-out his life. I don't know if it was a recent clip or one from last year, but they ended the show with a clip of Russert beaming, "Happy Father's Day to big Russ up in Buffalo, and Luke, I'm real proud to be your dad".

Cue waterworks.

No comments: