Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Buy Outs

So, the buy outs were offered today to those of us who have been at The Palm Beach Post for at least five years.

Going into that meeting today, one of three identical meetings, was strange.
"Hey what are you all doing here?' I heard someone joke.
Another answered, "It's a magic show, there going to make us all disappear!".

Sitting down between Taylor, another shooter and a friends of mine, and Pat, one of our illustrators,, I watched people file into the room. Looking at the people, some of whom I have been seeing around the building for years but never knew their names, some of whom are from my department - the photographer with a wife and two small kids, the editor with two kids in college, the killer sports shooter with a sick wife. As long as I didn't look at the person, I was OK. I could keep it together.

But man, was it sad.

Through the meeting Pat doodled a perfect storm with a small figure drowning in the middle of it.

To meet the financial goal, an estimated 130 people will leave the building. That's about 40% of the newsroom staff. It's fucked up, is what it is. That said, it is what it is. Times are changing and we have to change with it.

I have some thinking to do.

By the way, I often spell check my writing. I'm a terrible speller and I often spell things wrong simply in typo. Like "photographer" I often mistype as "photogrpaher". When I was spell checking right now and the spell check came to that typo, rather than correcting the misspelling, it said "no suggestions".

Hm.

Below is a list of what some of my "Facebook friends" have put on their status update today -

Lindsay is really sad about palm beach, and worried sick about my friends there.
Cristella is sending positive vibes to all at the Palm Beach Post. Keep your chin ups, guys...you'll get through.
Elizabeth is zoned out. Today was weird.
Carl is stunned...please someone, somewhere help all my friends at the palm beach post.
Shannon spins it positive and says a new adventure is better than none at all.
Stephen doesn't remember yesterday. Today it rained.
Kristi is crying because of the Palm Beach Post's buyout memo.
Libby is reeling....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I first heard the news, I was totally prepared. I thought I had spent all my depression juice on the days of anticipating the news.

But since it's sunk in--the official news--I'm heartbroken. For everyone.

:(