Monday, June 30, 2008

Crybaby Goonies

Rachel and I were watching the '80s classic, The Goonies yesterday. I felt like I've wrapped my brain around the reality of our professional situation fairly well. It's very clear though that my brain has unwrapped, or it was never wrapped around to begin with. I knew this when Sloth looked down at Chunk at the end of the movie and said, "Sloth...love...Chunk!" and I wanted to burst into tears. Over a kids movie with over-dramatic 13 year olds in it and bad 1980's fashion.

On the way to work I was listening to an interview with Leonard Downey, Jr. the head at Washington Post who is stepping down. He was talking about the state of newspapers and such. A truck driver called in and told him how much he loved the WP. How he would always seek it out when he was in the metro area. I became weepy. Someone appreciating what we do.

I never thought about that much before when people told me while I was on assignment, "Oh the Palm Beach Post? I love that paper! That's my paper!"

It has all new importance to me now.