Monday, July 23, 2007

House Fire

Don't think about Ollie. Don't think about Ollie. Don't think about Ollie.
Saturday morning, I was called out to cover a fire. By the time I
arrived, the fire was out, the home gutted. Five people and three dogs
were living there. Two of the dogs were missing. One was a Chihuahua
named Fawn.

Sam and Jamar were worried about Sam's little dog. Sam had tried to
find her in the smoke but was unable to and had to get out himself
before he succumbed to the smoke.  I waited a while, wondering if fire
rescue would find the dog. Sure enough, a firefighter came out with a
laundry basket. In it was a navy colored blanket. In that, the body of
little Fawn. The firefighters had found her under the bed.

It was, as you can imagine, very sad. Sam said, "I tried to find her
but I couldn't find her! I heard her crying but I couldn't figure out
where she'd gone! She was such a sweet dog. She was so awesome."
I generally keep quiet when I shoot, but I tried to reassure him that
it wasn't his fault. That it's common for dogs to hide when they're
scared.

After holding her for a while, they buried her in the backyard while
the firefighters continued their investigation into the cause of the
fire.

No comments: