Sunday, July 15, 2007

Harry Potter


I went to see the latest Harry Potter flick the other night with Uma.
I wanted to cry from the minute it started and I have no idea why.
Maybe because I knew who was going to die in this film?

The final book is coming out soon and after watching the movie based
on the fifth book, I'm a bit freaked out about reading the final book.
I'm not sure I can emotionally handle what's to come after the losses
in books five and six. The people on the Today Show who talked about
how to help your children deal emotionally if Harry dies in the final
book? I think they were on to something.

Someone needs to start a helpline for this bad boy.

I recall Rowling stating in an interview that someone very close to
Harry is going to die in the final book. Maybe one of the Weasley
twins? They are sort-of close to him and it would be tragic because
they are such a pair, but I don't care enough about them that I will
cry myself to sleep at night like I will if it's Harry or Ron or
Hermione.  Perhaps Snape becomes an extra warm and fuzzy good guy and
he bites it? I could cope with the loss of Hagrid, I think.

I can't fathom that she would really kill off Harry, especially
considering the prophecy stated in the fifth book (and the newest
movie), that only one can live. Unless Harry's killed battling
Voldemort and they both die in the process, joining as one in a way?

I came across a spoiler site which on which people where listing what
they'd learned was going to happen. One person wrote in response to
another's theory...

"If we use some common sense- Voldemort is Voldemort, come on! How the
hell can a 17-18 yr old just kill him??! That would seem to be too
untrue and I'm sure Rowling wouldn't want to end the series on an
unrealistic note."

On an "unrealistic note"?  Lady, it's a book with moving staircases,
bewitched picture frames, jumping chocolate frogs, and a kid on a
flying broom!

Then, I am blogging about it and bracing myself for substantial
emotional trauma.

No comments: