Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Harry Potter

I've been thinking about Harry Potter, (because really, what else is
there to think about lately?) and the fact that it all takes place in
England. As far as the movies go, I was thinking about the fact that
they've had American directors, a Mexican director too, Alfonso
Cuaron, who actually directed my favorite of the ones currently out on
DVD. But, I really like the fact that they have stuck with only
English actors. I suppose it would work to have an American in it if
Rowling had written one in, as a visiting professor perhaps.

I'm glad she didn't though, it makes it more magical, and somehow
believable, to all be in a "foreign" country. Would I be so convinced
of her stories if they took place somewhere different?  Somehow, I
doubt I would be so entranced by a magical world hidden in Appalachia.
You know, they leave the hills to visit Hogsmead, hidden
within...Pittsburg.

Sounds fun. And magical.

Kind of along the same lines of wondering how my life would be
different if I had lived in a different dorm in college (and made
completely different life-long friends), I wonder what it must be like
to live in England and read these stories.  All of the muggle towns
and cities mentioned actually exist. It's interesting. Does being
familiar with these towns effect your view of the story? Your
visualization of it?  I can't imagine I would view the story the same
at all if Harry grew-up living in the closet under the stairs of a
home in the suburbs of L.A. I wonder if those living in or near the
muggle towns and villages mentioned feel the same. I'm guessing not
considering the bajillion books sold. (Yes, Dad, "bajillion" is a
word...to me anyway).

Thanks goodness J.K. Rowling's English.  Speaking of her - to my
fellow Harry Potter addicts (oh, you KNOW who you are!), check this
out. Cool stuff!  Fun links at the bottom, too.    Click Here.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a particular movie series to watch
for the bajillionth time.

No comments: