Sunday, January 1, 2017

2017

So, I'll try and list the good stuff of 2016, and ignore the bad (which includes the horror that was and will continue to be, the change in our political situation). I'm not ignoring the things that hurt, I just want them to not be in the forefront for once. I need to be better about pushing that sad shit back and focusing on the good.

A super birthday celebration with Meg! Turning 40 was fun!
A family trip to DC
A visit to hang out with Shannon in western MA
Multiple visits with the Badens
My annual FL trip for fun, sun, and street "painting"
An amazing Girls Trip to Europe!
I took watercolor painting classes which I really loved and plan on continuing to do.

I don't believe in resolutions. As my friend Shannon pointed out in her New Year's blog entry today, you can make changes any day. I also feel that resolutions are a great way to fail...or rather, FEEL like a failure if you don't stick to them. I don't need any more self-criticism in my life, that's for sure!  While not too much has been added in the second half of the year (do to lack of interest, not lack of interesting things) into my Good Things Jar, I did remember an aspirational list I filled out last year and will now see how much I accomplished this past year

BREAK A BAD HABIT
I stopped drinking cocoa every night. Now I just have to tackle the ice cream habit.

VISIT A NEW PLACE
Paris, Brussels AND Barcelona!

READ A DIFFICULT BOOK
Again, I cheat in this area because I do so much audio listening, but I've listened to a few that were a challenge for me - Between The World and Me by Coates is one.

WRITE SOMETHING IMPORTANT
A respectful, succinct email I sent letting someone know how much they hurt me.

TRY A NEW FOOD
Socca in Nice, and Escargot in Eze (France)

LEARN SOMETHING NEW
watercoloring

DO SOMETHING FOR SOMEONE WHO CANNOT THANK YOU
Purchased and donated sleeping bags for Syrian refugees, purchased gifts for a family in need via a reputable gifting campaign

TAKE AN IMPORTANT RISK
I was brave last year and asked a lot of questions knowing the answers would hurt but needed to be asked.


No comments: